Menu Accordeon Get Involved
Who volunteers at Harlem RBI?
Our volunteers are at least 18 years old and are committed to youth development. They come from a variety of backgrounds and career areas, including college students, business professionals and retirees.
What do I need to do before I become a volunteer?
Before you can become a volunteer at Harlem RBI, the volunteer team will ask you to participate in the following process:
- Phone interview
- Written application
- Background/Reference Checks
*This process does not apply to events volunteers.
What is the volunteer commitment?
The required commitment for volunteers varies based on the specific volunteer role. While required commitment can fluctuate, it generally follows these guidelines:
- After-school Volunteers: At least 3 months
- Baseball/Softball Coaches: At least 9 months
- "Rookies" T-Ball Coaches: 6 Saturdays in July/August
All volunteers are asked to commit to at least two hours per week and often longer depending on the role.
What are volunteer schedules?
We ask that volunteers commit to a consistent, weekly schedule as a regular presence is integral to building relationships with youth necessary to have a lasting impact.
When do volunteers start?
Volunteers begin in groups throughout the year. Ideally, volunteers begin at the start of a program cycle in October, January or July.
Who are the youth that I will be working with?
- The youth involved in our programs vary in age from 5-22 and live in East Harlem or the South Bronx. They represent a variety of upbringings and cultural backgrounds.
What do you look for in volunteers?
- We look for volunteers who have previous experience working with youth in either a teaching or coaching capacity. Our volunteers should also be ready to serve as positive role models for youth and embody the Harlem RBI Values – Teamwork, Respect, Diversity, Promise, Effort, Integrity and FUN!